Wednesday, May 28, 2014

HWP: Prayer for a Priest

While most of the prayers that I most on here are typically for those of you who read this post, today I'm going to be a bit selfish and ask you to pray for me. Today is my anniversary of priestly ordination. Three years already! I will soon be the pastor of a parish and with that comes a whole new set of responsibilities, challenges, and opportunities, so I ask your prayers so that I can have as much of God's grace poured out on me as possible in preparation. You might keep this prayer and offer it from time to time for your own parish priest and other priests close to you. None of us would be upset about such a wonderful gift. Thank you in advance and know of my prayers for each of you as well. So...let us pray...

O Jesus, our great High Priest, Hear my humble prayers on behalf of your priest, Father Brent. Give him a deep faith, a bright and firm hope and a burning love which will ever increase in the course of his priestly life. In his loneliness, comfort him In his sorrows, strengthen him In his frustrations, point out to him that it is through suffering that the soul is purified, and show him that he is needed by the Church, he is needed by souls, he is needed for the work of redemption.

O loving Mother Mary, Mother of Priests, take to your heart your son who is close to you because of his priestly ordination, and because of the power which he has received to carry on the work of Christ in a world which needs him so much. Be his comfort, be his joy, be his strength, and especially help him to live and to defend the ideals of consecrated celibacy. 
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment