Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Food of Judgment

This morning in the Office of Readings from the Liturgy of the Hours (more on that HERE), I came across an interesting couple of sentences. In a sermon 'On Pastors' by St. Augustine, we hear him telling us of the Lord: "With judgment he feeds those whom he, being judged himself, redeemed. Therefore, he himself feeds his sheep with judgment."

I've read this passage probably six or eight times in the course of my priestly formation in seminary and yet never did I catch that last line. As I thought about it, I realized that when I think of being fed by the Lord then I see it as a positive thing since I know that He would not feed me that which is harmful or does not satisfy. And yet Our Lord feeds us judgment. Trying to grasp this connection, I then came to understand that judgment, for me, is often viewed in a negative light - as a condemning action. And yet judgment can be positive. To be found innocent when standing before a jury of earthly peers often brings one to tears of joy and great excitement. How much greater would be my joy on that last day if Our Lord were to look upon me with all the saints and angels of Heaven beside Him and judge me worthy to enter that Heavenly Banquet? What wonderful food that would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment