Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Return of HWP!!!

After my multiple-week failure in posting on Wednesdays... a return! In preparing for the Lenten season, I came across this nifty little prayer from St. Ephraim the Syrian. Though not very popular among Roman Rite Catholics, it has a great history among Eastern Rite Catholics. Part of the beauty of it is that the prayer includes either kneeling or lying prostrate on the floor after each of the three verses as a sign of humility before the Lord. Nothing like putting the words into action! So, without further rambling I present to you:


O Lord and Master of my life!
Take from me the spirit of sloth, 
faith-heartedness, lust of power, and idle talk. 
[Kneel/Prostration]

But give rather the spirit of chastity,
humility, patience and love to Thy servant.
[Kneel/Prostration]

Yea, Lord and King!
Grant me to see my own errors,
and not to judge my brothers,
for Thou art blessed unto ages and ages. Amen.
[Kneel/Prostration]

No comments:

Post a Comment