Friday, March 23, 2012

Face-Melting Quote of the Day

Click Image to Order from Tan Books
A long but beautiful quote from 'The Spiritual Combat' by Dom Lorenzo Scupoli:
After Communion strive to be deeply recollected, shutting out from your heart the multiple petty encroachments of worldly distractions. Entertain the divine guest with such sentiments as are expressed in the following prayer:
"O sovereign Lord of heaven, what has brought Thee from celestial heights to the depths of earthly hearts?" His answer will be simply, "Love."
And you must reply: "O eternal love, what is it you ask of me?" And He will answer again: "Nothing but love. I would have no other fire within thee but charity, the ardent flames of which will conquer the impure flames of passion, and make thee pleasing in My sight. Long have I wished that thou wert all Mine and I all thine. And long have I desired that surrender of thy will ever solicitous for frivolous liberty and worldly vanities; for only when thy will is attuned to Mine can the first wish be realized. Know, then, that I would have thee die to self, that you might live to Me; I would have thee give Me thy heart that I might make it like unto Mine, which broke on Calvary out of love for mankind. Thou knowest who I am, and yet thou knowest that in some measure, I have made thee My equal in an excess of love. When I give Myself entirely to thee, I ask nothing but thyself in return. Be Mine and I shall be satisfied. Will nothing, think nothing, understand nothing, see nothing but Me and My will. Let thy nothingness be lost in the depths of My infinity, and find there they happiness, as I find repose in thee."

No comments:

Post a Comment